Why did Imran Khan get angry with the Pakistani bowler who scored the first hat trick of ODIs?

If only one wicket is found, the bowler is not happy, but when not one, not two but three wickets in a row get his hands on the balls, then he is like flying in the air.



A hat trick is a dream of any bowler but it rarely turns into a dream because it involves the ability of the bowler as well as the process of good luck.

After the start of the ODIs in January 1971, several bowlers approached the hat-trick with two wickets in a row, but could not find the third wicket, and the wait lasted more than eleven years.

But then Jalaluddin made history.

Kim Hughes' Australian team, which visited Pakistan on September 20, 1982, was playing its first ODI at the Niaz Stadium in Hyderabad. It was a 40-over match, with Pakistan batting first and scoring 229 for six, with Mohsin Khan's century notable.

Australia chased the target of 230 runs with great confidence. Openers Graemewood and Bruce Laird combined for 104 runs. On this occasion, off-spinner Tauseef Ahmed paved the way for Pakistan's return to the match by dismissing both openers and then captain Kim Hughes.

Alan Border's valuable wicket on a total score of 157 was taken by medium-fast bowler Jalaluddin, but this was only the beginning. The real drama was yet to come.

Jalaluddin came to bowl the 37th over of the Australian innings and his seventh over.

On the fourth ball of the over, wicketkeeper Rodney Marsh was bowled in an attempt to make a quick hit. On the fifth ball, Bruce Yardley caught wicketkeeper Wasim Bari. Facing the sixth ball of the over was fast bowler Jeff Lawson, who was bowled by Jalaluddin.

It was the first hat-trick in ODI cricket to be awarded to a Pakistani bowler.

Speaking to BBC Urdu, Jalaluddin has revived years-old memories.

"The ball was moving because of the strong wind, which benefited me," he said. No one told me how to hit the ball on the hat trick ball, nor was there any specific fieldset. I was excited because I had done a hat trick in first-class cricket before. Jeff Lawson missed the line on the ball coming into me, he went on the back foot and became bold.

Jalaluddin says, "If you watch the video of this hat-trick, you will see that my teammates did compliment me on the completion of this hat-trick, but they did not show extraordinary enthusiasm, as they do nowadays." If the bowler does a hat trick then it is visible ... But that didn't happen then, everything was normal. "

"The newspaper revealed that I am the first bowler."

"I was a history maker but I didn't know I was the first bowler in the world to score a hat-trick in ODI cricket," says Jalaluddin. I found out the next day on the sports page of the Dawn newspaper.

"I was never part of the team."

"I got the chance to play in that match against Australia only because captain Imran Khan forbade me to play that match," says Jalaluddin. If they had played this match, I would have been out and this date would not have been money.


Jalaluddin says, “When the Pakistani team led by Imran Khan visited England in 1982, I was called up for the Headingley Test due to the unfitness of Sarfraz Nawaz and Tahir Naqash, but Imran Khan called Ehteshamuddin on me. Preferred those who were badly unfit during the match. After this tour, the Australian team came to Pakistan. I took five wickets in the first innings of the three-day match against him in Multan.

"After taking five wickets in the side match against Australia and a hat-trick in the ODIs, I bowled well in the second ODI in Lahore and took two wickets but my name is in the squad announced for the third Test," he said. I was not involved but I was told to go home. 

"I had just come to Karachi when I was asked to reach Lahore again. When I reached Lahore, Imran Khan saw me and said, 'Who sent you home? You have a chance to play the Lahore Test.' I took three wickets in the first innings and two in the second innings of my first Test. I remember Imran Khan telling me to improve my fielding and I will give you a chance in the 1983 World Cup. The best thing about Imran Khan was that if he fed a player, he would give him the full opportunity. 

Career affected due to Christmas party

Jalaluddin has played only six Tests and eight ODIs in his career, although the Pakistani team needed a fast bowler during this period. If you look at the bowlers of this era, between Imran Khan's unfitness and his return to cricket, Tahir Naqash, Rashid Khan, and Azeem Hafeez were part of the pace attack, while Jalaluddin easily remained in the team. Could have made a place but in the end what is the reason that his career could not last long?


Jalaluddin attributes this to an incident that angered Imran Khan.


Jalaluddin says, "During the Karachi Test between Pakistan and India in December 1982, there was a Christmas party in which Imran Khan took a few cricketers with him, including me."

"Since the Test match was going on the next day, Imran Khan stopped there for a while and asked all the cricketers to come back and said this and left. I didn't have a car and I went there with Mohsin Khan so it was too late for me to come back with him.

"As we were leaving, Sarfraz Nawaz arrived. They saw us and didn't know what to say to Imran Khan which made them angry with me. Although I apologized to him because it was my fault that I should have left the party soon, Imran Khan had that in mind.

"When I went to the preparation camp for the series against Sri Lanka in 1984, Imran Khan looked at me and said, 'Are you still playing?'

Jalaluddin claimed, "Another incident I will never forget is that when the Pakistani team was going to play an ODI tournament in Australia, the selectors also invited me to the camp where Imran Khan addressed me." "Bowling is very good in your camp and you can be selected in the team, but I will not take you."


The Sri Lankan cricket team made its first overseas tour of Pakistan since gaining Test membership in 1982.

Jalaluddin and wicketkeeper Saleem Yousuf started their ODI career in the first ODI at the National Stadium in Karachi.

It didn't take long for Jalaluddin to make his presence felt and he bowled opener Sadath Whitman on the fourth ball of his first over.

It was only the second time in the history of ODIs that an Asian bowler had taken a wicket in his first over.

Interestingly, the first Asian bowler to take a wicket in his first over in ODIs was Sunil Gavaskar, who bowled Zaheer Abbas on his fourth ball in the 1978 ODI against Pakistan in Sialkot.

Jalaluddin took up coaching after his career as a cricketer ended.

After Jalaluddin's hat-trick, more than three years have passed waiting to see who will be the next bowler to do a hat-trick in ODIs. In January 1986, Australian fast bowler Bruce Reid broke the deadlock with a hat-trick against New Zealand.

Pakistan's Wasim Akram hit a hat-trick on two different occasions in Sharjah in just seven months. Off-spinner Thaqleen Mushtaq also scored a hat-trick twice, while Jalaluddin, Waqar Younis, Aqib Javed, and Mohammad Sami have scored a hat-trick once.

Muhammad Sami's last hat-trick for Pakistan in the ODIs was in February 2002 against the West Indies in Sharjah.


Post a Comment

If you have any doubt .Please let us know

Previous Post Next Post